Around St. Patrick’s Day I found an amazing recipe via Pinterest for Chocolate Guinness Chocolate Cake on Global Table Adventure. It sounded delicious but I wanted it in cupcake form, not too tricky right? Well, kinda. The blog author guessed in the comments what cooking time would probably be, but my trick came in perfecting the process for myself and figuring out the correct proportions for using an entire bottle of Guinness.
Instead of doubling it I needed to 1.5 it. So there are some weird measurements but I’m not a big Guinness drinker, hence the need to figure out new measurements. I hope you like this recipe as much as I do.
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey’s Buttercream
- 2.25 sticks butter
- 1 cup and 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1.5 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 2.25 cups sugar
- 1.75 cups and 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan melt the butter with cocoa, vanilla and Guinness over low heat. Stir occasionally to ensure butter is entirely melted and everything is mixed well. Take off the heat and let cool.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda and eggs.
4. Prepare a muffin tin, I used cupcake/muffin liners but you could grease the pan if that’s how you usually prepare cupcakes.
5. Ensure that the cocoa-Guinness mixture is close to room temperature. Pour into flour mix and whisk together.
6. Fill the liners 2/3 way full with the batter. Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 18 minutes or until a fork comes out clean when stuck in the middle.
7. Let the cupcakes cool on a cooling rack. While cooling, prepare buttercream.
8. Sift powdered sugar into a bowl. Add butter, cut into pieces. Whisk together for a few minutes until the butter and sugar begin coming together. Add Bailey’s and continue whisking until it becomes loose and fluffy.
9. Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!